Friday 3 April 2009

Go Placidly Amid the Noise and the Haste

As the sun makes an effort to burst through the clouds, I'm thankful for the coming of Spring. I often find the spiritual in nature and I'm enjoying the daffodils that I planted in the burial ground opposite my flat. I can just about see them through my kitchen window so it feels like my own little patch of garden.

In the rush of urban living, I take comfort from the Desiderata, a poem written by Max Erhmann in the 1920s.

It's not always easy to remember the spiritual but the daffodils help...

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.

Read the full poem here. Posted by Kate.

No comments: